Investment properties – foreclosed and received a 1099 C

April 17th, 2011 by Jarad

Question:  We had 2 investment properties – 1 foreclosed in 2009 and we just got a 1099 C for the second (which was part of the 80/20 purchase money. We also got a 1099 C for the second on the second property that foreclosed in March of 2010 again purchase money. How do we report this? Is this income? If so and we owe a crazy amount to the IRS what can we do when we have little reserve?

Answer:  – This is reported as income on your taxes. Your accountant will help you through all this. In many cases, you can claim insolvent which means your liabilities exceed your assets or if it was a personal residence because of the new laws you won’t have to pay taxes on this amount. Have your accountant help you with all this, it makes it much easier.

Tags: , ,

One Response to “Investment properties – foreclosed and received a 1099 C”

  1. Ben Statch Says:

    Great article!

Leave a Reply

Ask The Expert?

Have a question that hasn't been answered? Ask us a question by clicking here.

Search Blog

Featured Product

foreclosure home study course
"The Investors Complete Foreclosure Home Study Course - Only $47"

Discover a Proven System for Buying Real Estate Foreclosures 30%, 40%, and 50% Below Market Value. Generate Huge Returns Using This Step-by-Step Foreclosure System.

Learn More - Click Here

Build Your Wealth

See our investment properties

Looking for Great Returns and Positive Cashflow? Build your wealth by investing in real estate.

Check out our inventory! »

Free Foreclosure Reports

Affiliate Disclosure

We review products from time to time and receive compensation from the companies whose products we review. We review each product thoroughly and give high marks to only the very best. We are independently owned and the opinions expressed here are our own...

Comodo SSL