Posts Tagged ‘satisfaction of lien’

Should I Foreclose or Short Sale

August 2nd, 2013 by Jarad

Should I Foreclose or Short Sale My Home?

Should I foreclose or short saleQuestion:  Should I foreclose or short sale. Here is the situation. I bought a condo in Tampa, Florida in September 2005. This was my first real estate purchase and my primary residence until I transferred to Maryland for my job in July 2008. I have a first mortgage for $150k and a HELOC for $25k. The property has been short sale approved and there is a buyer that is going to purchase it for the price of $60k. We are ready to close but I need to pay all the delinquent HOA fees, late fees and attorney fees that have mounted up. I can not afford to pay the $3000 in late HOA fees to close on the short sale. Now, I am facing foreclosure. I have asked the HOA to waive the late fees and attorney fees so I can do a short sale but they are refusing.

Is it worth it to borrow the money from friends and family or should I foreclose or short sale?
Thank you,

[…read more]

Idaho Deficiency Judgments and Anti-Deficiency Laws

September 30th, 2008 by Jarad

Question: I know that Idaho allows Deficiency Judgments. I’ve heard that Idaho also has Anti-Deficiency laws and that they apply only to 1st mortgages on a primary residence. Is this true? What criteria needs to be met to be protected by the anti-deficiency law in Idaho?

Answer: – It’s so hard to say because every state is different. Typically states with anti-deficiency laws apply only to 1st mortgages, and it must be your primary residence. It may also depend on what type of loan you have. In Arizona, despite the anti-deficiency law, if it’s a VA loan, they can file a deficiency judgment. In most cases throughout the U.S., lenders very rarely file deficiency judgments on 1st mortgages, they just take back the collateral. Lenders in 2nd position are more likely to file deficiency judgments because they are the ones taking the biggest losses and they have no way to re-coop their losses because the first took the house. And even still, most of them will 1099 the homeowner. One of the best things you can do is have someone negotiate a short payoff or a short sale on your home and have the lender agree to a “satisfaction” which means the lender is giving up their right to go after the homeowner for the deficient amount. If they only agree to “release the lien” then they still have their right to file a deficiency judgment.

Ask The Expert?

Have a question that hasn't been answered? Ask us a question by clicking here.

Search Blog

Featured Product

foreclosure home study course
"The Investors Complete Foreclosure Home Study Course - Only $47"

Discover a Proven System for Buying Real Estate Foreclosures 30%, 40%, and 50% Below Market Value. Generate Huge Returns Using This Step-by-Step Foreclosure System.

Learn More - Click Here

Build Your Wealth

See our investment properties

Looking for Great Returns and Positive Cashflow? Build your wealth by investing in real estate.

Check out our inventory! »

Free Foreclosure Reports

Affiliate Disclosure

We review products from time to time and receive compensation from the companies whose products we review. We review each product thoroughly and give high marks to only the very best. We are independently owned and the opinions expressed here are our own...

Comodo SSL